TransCanada2012

woohoo

Wednesday 5 December 2012

Nov. 10 - 14 Nova Scotia South Shore- Mahone Bay, Riverport and LaHave


Finally we succeeded to leave wonderful Wolfville and head to the south shore of Nova Scotia. In the late afternoon, just as we started getting tired of riding we came past a horse stable where we decided to ask if we could camp in their barn. The owners not just allowed us to camp but offered us the space of the tack room which had a nice wood stove to keep us warm. 

Next morning one of the riders arrived early in the morning while we were packing our bags in the tack room. Poor Gloria had no idea we were in there so she was caught by a very unexpected surprise as she came around the corner. After the initial shock we had a good laugh together and joked about how  she "spooked" like a horse. Gloria was very cool and before we left Oakley Stables, she gave us her contact info so we could come stay at her place if we happened to be near her town a few days down the road.
Before riding off, we stopped to say hello to the curious horses beside the driveway. I leaned my bike against the fence so that I could take a picture of the horses but one of them immediately spotted the flowers I had tied to my handlebars, walked over and bit one of. And it was the last pink flower I had left. It did not look like it tasted good because the horse stood there for quite a while chewing the plastic flower. The person cleaning that horses box tomorrow will be in for a colourful surprise. 

A few kilometers after Oakley Stables, we came over a hill and this spectacular view of the Atlantic ocean greeted us. The photo does not really do it justice but it was amazing. 
Soon the fog cleared and we got to enjoy a gorgeous, sunny day. 

Near Gold River. 

Our friend Scott from Wolfville had put us in touch with another cyclist, Tammy, in Riverport. We ended up staying with Tammy for three nights because it was just so nice there. Below is a picture of Riverport just down the road from Tammy's house. 

Near Riverport you can take a little cable ferry over to Lahave. Some one had mentioned to us a while ago that there is a fantastic bakery in Lahave and that it would be worth a stop no matter what. The closer I got to Lahave, almost everybody I ran into (which was a handful of people) asked me if I was planning on going to the bakery or they asked whether I had made the "mandatory bakery stop yet". 
Bicyclette on the ferry.  Her best friend Bike stayed home because he was feeling a bit tired on that day.

Yes, I did stop at the bakery and the black bean brownie square was absolutely delicious! Below is a funny sign I saw on the wall near where I sat when I ate the brownie. Mouse trap button, ouch!!!! 
Inside the bakery

Lahave Bakery
At the little park just down the road from the bakery. So Maritime!
Heading back to Tammy's. That's her house on the left. Ocean on the right. I think my favorite part about Tammy's house was her upstairs bathroom. I am not sure what the technical term for this architectural feature is but the outside wall was built so that it bulged out, allowing for a beautiful 180 degree view of the ocean front. In the morning, I loved to just sit on the edge of the bathtub with a book, read, enjoy the view and soak up some early morning rays. 


James, I and Tammy. 
THANKS TAMMY FOR HAVING US. IT WAS SUPER COOL TO MEET YOU. BEST OF LUCK AND SUCCESS WITH YOUR FITNESS BUSINESS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment