TransCanada2012

woohoo

Thursday 19 July 2012

July 7 - Glenwood Springs and the Gear Exchange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On our way to Glenwood Springs we had a very interesting thing happen. We were riding along the I-70 and just past a town called Rifle James spotted a nice baseball cap in the grass beside the road. We see abandoned hats and stuff all the time but this time he decided to turn around to check it out. I was not interested in the hat because I had just found a nice one for myself the day before so I kept going. After a while a looked back and James was still not in sight. Hmm? What can be so interesting about a baseball cap? I stopped, made myself a peanut butter sandwich and waited. Eventually I saw him come around the corner with a mysterious look on his face. "Did you take the hat?". " No....but..." And then he reached into his pocket and showed me what he had found beside the hat. He told me that as he had examined the hat he noticed a one dollar bill, and then another and another. As he had followed the string of 1's, he found a five and .........last a $100 strewn beside the highway. The total came to $117. We could not believe it. That is enough money for a weeks worth of food for both of us!!! Thank you!!! Miracles do happen!!!!!

In Glenwood Springs, a kind gentleman invited us to join him and a few buddies on a boat ride up the river but both James and I were too tired to go, unfortunately. We opted for a chill afternoon in the park where we ended up meeting quite a handful of cool people. Below are Charles and Michele. They have done some cycle touring themselves and it was great chatting with them. Nice face Charles! Hope to see you in Hawaii sometime, Michele.

As I am still in search for a new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire for my front wheel, we stopped by the local bike shop to inquire. They did not have the tire but when the staff saw our loaded bikes they all came out to admire them. Randy the owner even tried to weigh my bike on the scale they have in the shop but it was too heavy for the scale. In other words it must be somewhere around 100 lbs (bike and luggage).
Immediately we were inviteded to pick a beer from the cooler and go for more later if we so desire. This shop is an absolute riot!! Everybody is in such a great mood and super friendly.
Yeah Gear Exchange!!!!! CHEERS to the world of bicycles!!!
UNFORTUNATELY we did not get pictures of the next adventure but Randy encouraged us to try out two of the Pugsley bikes (by Surly). They have massive tires which make for a very smooth, grippy ride. O my goodness did we have fun cruising the streets of Glenwood Springs in these Pugsleys. Below is a pic I stole from another website. We heard so many people commenting on "the big tires". "Did you see these big tires?" We rode up a very steep gravel road which my bike would have quite some trouble with. Then went down several flights of stairs no problem. My next bike will be a Pugsley because you can even ride them on ski runs in the winter. James taught me how to do a little bunny hop (back wheel off the ground). I wish I had had my camera on me to photograph some of the tricks he did. I am quite impressed. He even hopped back up a long flight of stairs sideways. Crazy!

Linden, one of the guys from the bike shop, invited us to come stay at his house for the night. He lives in a cute little cabin right next to the river with his wife Danyelle, two dogs and cat. We got to take a shower again after hmmm quite a number of days which was fantastic. The evening was concluded by some mandoline plucking. Thanks for the entertainment Linden.
Danyelle and Linden. THANKS FOR THE HOSPITALITY. It was so awesome meeting you.
Their cabin

No comments:

Post a Comment