TransCanada2012

woohoo

Thursday 19 July 2012

June 26 - Craters of the Moon

Shortly before Arco, a friendly farmer let us camp in his field. Thanks to my Weed Science Professor's hard work I was able to identify some edible wild plants which we added to our pasta and soup to make a fantastic veggie stew. Mmmmm delicious!
This beautiful horse was just a few miles down the road from where we camped.
In Arco we stocked up on food and then turned west to cycle out to Craters of the Moon Natl Monument. It was only about a 20 mile ride but it took us about 4 hours. The headwind was like nothing I have ever experienced before. I am pretty sure Vinifera would call it quits for the day if it got this windy in the vineyards. I had to use all my strenght and will power to bring the bike up to a 9 km/hr speed on a flat grade. It was so exhausting and frustrating. If I had not been so curious to see the lava flows at Craters there is no way I would have continued that day. Too much of a waste of energy and really touch on the morale. James hated the ride too but eventually we made it!!!!  
Unfortunately we did not have enough time to see all the sight in the park but it was still a very interesting landscape to spend some time in.
Close up of lava
Bicyclette always looking her flowery best!!!!
At the visitor center we  met a group of touring cyclists who are heading across the States. It was great to chat with them and exchange stories. Good luck guys!!!!!
This is a pic I took back on the highway, east of Arco. In the distance you can see two old craters. The rest of the area is one huge research territory devoted to several different disciplines. A lot of ecological studies go on here as well as nuclear energy research. If I remember correctly the area is 900 square miles large. Wow! This night we slept behind a rest area beside the highway just down the road from where this pic was taken. It seemed like this rest area was just out in the middle of nowhere in this huge flat piece of land. I felt so small under this big sky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment