TransCanada2012

woohoo

Tuesday 16 July 2013

June 23- Headed to Selçuk (Ephesus)

Ever tried to catch up with someone who is behind you?
After our almost sleepless night with the barking dog we were on the way to Selçuk (town next to historic Ephesus which we planned to visit the following morning). We took the secondary highway through Kemalpasa to avoid having to go through Izmir. There was a steep hill to climb and since James was a ways ahead of me I did not see him pull off the road to take a quick break. As I got to the top, I looked down the road and could not see him so, thinking he had sped down the hill to cool off in the breeze I went right after him. For the next hour I pushed myself to go faster than normal to catch up with him which of course made it even harder for him to catch up with me. Luckily he is faster than me so he caught me eventually. Kind of funny.
Once we arrived in Selçuk we spent the rest of the day behind an airconditioned super market. When we got too hot, we would just go inside and wander the aisles. Luckily there were also two gas stations nearby where we could wet out shirts and hair. Later in the afternoon we spotted a slightly damaged watermelon in the super market's trash bin. A real God sent because few things are more refreshing in the heat than a juicy watermelon. Mmmm sooo good!
As we sat there, many farmers drove past pulling trailers full of fruit boxes, picker buckets and workers.
Once the sun started to cool off, we rode out of town, snuck into a fig orchard and found a nicely hidden camping spot under a fig tree with a partial view of Ephesus' Magnesia gate.

There are city remains all over the local area so before setting up our tent we actually had to move a few bricks, probably from the old city wall, that were sticking out of the ground. It was a good, dogless night!

No comments:

Post a Comment